Senior Advisor, Risk & Insurance
|Open Date||Apr 12 2019 - 04:09:00 PM||Close Date||May 31 2019 - 11:59:00 PM|
|Position Title||Senior Advisor, Risk & Insurance||Posting Type||Full Time|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Permanent|
|Department Group||Corporate Services||Hours per Week||35|
|Location||Town Hall: 150 Mary Street Milton, L9T 6Z5|
The Town of Milton’s Corporate Services Department is accepting applications for the permanent, full-time position of Senior Advisor, Risk & Insurance. Reporting to the Manager, Purchasing and Risk Services, this position identifies, analyzes and mitigates the risks that the Town may be exposed to through program review/development, research, analysis and investigation. This position is also responsible for coordinating the insurance claims process on behalf of the Town including field investigations, attending court proceedings as required, and maintaining records and completing various analysis on claims and risk profiles.
Major Job Responsibilities
Manages the Claim process from incident to final resolution.
- Coordinates the claims process including the collection of all relevant information to obtain an understanding of the incident to aid in the protecting the Town’s interest. This includes corporate documents, field investigations, statements from employees and third parties, obtaining photographs, repair estimates necessary to evaluate the claims and exposures.
- Primary representative to the public claiming injury or property damage, their representatives and with insurer claims representatives; works in accordance with established practices and authorities.
- Assigns legal counsel (for claims up to the deductible) and approves legal counsel in conjunction with the insurers for claims over the deductible. Works directly with Legal Council on claims matters including but not limited to pre-trials, trials, mediation and settlement conferences.
- Represents the Town at small claims court claims. Attends and testifies at legal hearings, including trials, on claims related to matters as required.
- Facilitates subrogation claims for recovery of monies owing to the Town as a result of damages caused by third parties to Town property; analyses claims data to identify causes for losses, recommends remedial loss prevention/ control techniques.
Manages the Risk Management program to ensure that all efforts have been made to transfer and/or mitigate the Town’s Risk Exposures.
- Conducts risk process reviews, including but not limited to loss history, claims data, incident and accident reports for the Town; prepares reports and provides recommendations and leadership to implement, mitigate or eliminate losses.
- Develops proactive risk management programs, enlisting and ensuring the cooperation and participation of all service / operating units involved in the insurance portfolio, including making site visits.
- Primary contact for the Town’s Insurer on matters regarding the administration of the Town’s General Insurance Program
- Prepares and assists in the management of the budget for all insurance matters; evaluation of policy deductibles, limits and reserves.
- Develops and delivers risk training programs
Subject Matter Expert supporting the implementation and leading the operation of various claims and risk management technologies.
- Plans and co-ordinates technology strategies for claims and risk management
- Co-ordination of system usage to ensure stats can be utilized for benchmarking
- Ensures the optimal use of the software for loss run analysis, analytical and trend reporting
- Provides input on the development and processes managed within the risk-related software
- Post secondary degree/diploma in degree in Risk Management or a related field
- Three (3) years’ experience in adjusting and/or risk & insurance program management for the municipal environment
- Canadian Risk Management (CRM), Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) or equivalent designation, or progressing towards completion
- Advanced negotiating & dispute resolution skills
- Advanced research, analytical & investigation skills
- Strong knowledge of insurance policies, adjusting techniques and applicable laws/legislation
- Knowledge of Risk Software
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion when dealing with sensitive information
Salary Range: $80,465 - $100,581 (35-hour workweek)
This position will remain open until filled.
The Town of Milton is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code; the Town of Milton will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform the Town’s Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require. All applicant information collected is in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy legislation and under the authority of the Municipal Act; used strictly for candidate selection.