Manager, Legislative & Legal Services / Deputy Clerk
|Open Date||May 14 2019 - 03:42:00 PM||Close Date||Jun 19 2019 - 11:59:00 PM|
|Position Title||Manager, Legislative & Legal Services / Deputy Clerk||Posting Type||Full Time|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Permanent|
|Department Group||Corporate Services||Hours per Week||35|
|Location||Town Hall: 150 Mary Street Milton, L9T 6Z5|
The Corporate Services Department, is accepting applications for the full-time position of Manager, Legislative & Legal Services / Deputy Clerk. Reporting to the Director, Legislative & Legal Services / Deputy Clerk, this position is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Town Clerk’s Division which includes corporate governance secretariat, corporate reception, legal coordination, corporate accessibility, information governance/records management, elections as well as collaborating and coordinating with the Manager, Licensing & Enforcement as necessary. This role is also responsible for carrying out the statutory duties of the Deputy Clerk as set out in the Municipal Act, 2001 when required and will act in the absence of the Director, Legislative & Legal Services/Deputy Clerk.
This position provides policy and program development, implementation, and evaluation expertise for the Division and ensures the Division and the Town meet all policy, service standards and legislative requirements for Division programs.
Major Job Responsibilities
Manages the activities and performance of staff in the day-to-day operations of the division
- Manages talent and financial resources to ensure the requirements of the Division are met
- Ensures all budgets for the Division are developed, coordinated, monitored, and managed to facilitate goals, objectives, and priorities
- Provides work direction and technical advice and expertise
- Assigns tasks/projects to ensure effective results are achieved
- Determines methods and procedures to be used and resolves problems
Ensures the delivery of effective services for assigned portfolios.
- Provides technical and strategic support and advice to the Leadership Management Team members and Strategic Management Team members regarding program challenges, performance, and requirements
- Ensures, and undertakes in the absence of the Law Clerk, effective coordination of the residential and industrial subdivision agreement process for the Corporation, land dispositions, agreement execution and miscellaneous legal functions
- Ensures, and undertakes in the absence of the Information Governance & Records Manager, all required functions to ensure the corporation meets its MFIPPA requirements
- Ensures corporate ambassadors are in place to deliver exceptional corporate reception services
- Ensures the Division and the Town meet all policy, service standards and legislative requirements for these programs.
Researches and provides analysis regarding legislation and policy improvement for programs.
- Provides policy and program development, implementation, and evaluation expertise for the Division
- Monitors legislative changes and reports on impacts including recommendations
- Identifies opportunities for process and service improvements
- Identifies issues and gaps in effectiveness of services
- Researches best practices
- Develops and implements improvement initiatives.
Develops strategies, goals and priorities, ensuring alignment with divisional/corporate direction.
- Monitors changing priorities, trends and emerging issues
- Identifies areas of potential impact to strategic plans, operations and delivery of services
- Provides recommendations on addressing issues.
Education and Experience
- Post secondary degree or diploma in Public Administration or Political Science, university degree preferred
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressive municipal experience including experience in a municipal Clerk’s office and at least two (2) years of progressive experience related to municipal clerk programs at a management level.
- Professional designation through the Association of Municipal Managers Clerks and Treasurers of Ontario or through the International Institute of Municipal Clerks or the ability to obtain
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to exercise political acuity and acumen
- Effective communication and public relations skills
- Knowledge of municipal and Real Estate Law, Ontario Statutes and municipal administration
- Policy and program development, implementation, and evaluation expertise
- Effective financial control and management
Salary Range: $99,829 – $124,786
The Town of Milton is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code; the Town of Milton will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform the Town’s Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require. All applicant information collected is in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy legislation and under the authority of the Municipal Act; used strictly for candidate selection.