The Town of Milton is an equal opportunity employer. Check out our current employment opportunities and apply today!
Zoning Officer (12 Month Contract)
|Open Date||Oct 12 2021 - 09:26:00 AM||Close Date||Oct 24 2021 - 11:59:00 PM|
|Position Title||Zoning Officer (12 Month Contract)||Posting Type||Full Time|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Contract|
|Department Group||Hours per Week||35|
|Location||Town Hall: 150 Mary Street Milton, L9T 6Z5|
The Development Services Department is accepting applications for the full-time contract position of Zoning Officer. Reporting to the Manager, Zoning and Property Information, this position is responsible for providing interpretation and administration of municipal zoning by-laws and sign by-laws. The Zoning Officer ensures that all development-related applications and land use proposals comply with these by-laws as well as applicable external agency legislation.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Provides front line interpretation of the Zoning by-law; responds to inquiries from the public, Council, staff and agencies pertaining to zoning and sign regulations and other applicable law
- Reviews and comments on Site Plan, Committee of Adjustment, Land Division Consent, Draft Plans of Subdivision, Part Lot Control Exemption, Sign Variance, Niagara Escarpment Development Permit and Business License applications
- Reviews all proposed changes to the type of use of any land, building or structure and issues Certificates of Occupancy (Zoning)
- Reviews and comments on all Building Permit applications to ensure compliance of the development with all applicable zoning by-law regulations, conditions of approval, and other applicable law as defined in the Ontario Building Code Act
- Reviews and comments on all sign permit applications to ensure compliance with municipal by-laws
- Assists planning staff with the preparation of site specific zoning by-law amendments
- Assists the Municipal Law Enforcement Officers with enforcement related to zoning by-law infractions
- Represents the department on internal staff teams and committees as required
- Attends court as an expert witness on matters related to zoning as required
- Recommends new processes to best service internal and external customers
- Complies with all health and safety practices as it relates to the work, standard operating guidelines and the Occupational Health & Safety Act
- Performs other duties as assigned in accordance with Department objectives
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary degree/diploma in a Planning related field
- Ontario Building Official Association (OBOA) - Land use Planning and Zoning Enforcement course is considered an asset
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience in zoning or a related discipline; experience in a Municipal environment is considered an asset
- Sound knowledge of the Planning Act, Municipal Act, Zoning principles and interpretation methodology
- Working knowledge of construction, Ontario Building Code Act and related terminology.
- Excellent communication skills, interpersonal and customer service skills
- Proficient in Windows based software including Microsoft applications; experience using AMANDA software and ArcReader GIS
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task, meet multiple deadlines and adapt to changing priorities
- Strong problem solving and dispute resolution skills
- Good report writing and record management skills
- Ability to read and interpret architectural, structural, and mechanical drawings, specifications and reports
- In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to submit a Criminal Records Check upon employment
- A valid Ontario Driver’s License with a driving record that demonstrates responsible/safe driving behavior as use of a personal vehicle is required
Salary Range: $68,107 - $85,134
When applying for a position, please sign in using your account email and password. If you do not already have an account, please click on the “Don’t Have an Account?” link found on the sign in page. Please note that all applicants will need to create an account in order to apply for positions.
The Town of Milton is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code; the Town of Milton will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform the Town’s Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require. All applicant information collected is in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy legislation and under the authority of the Municipal Act; used strictly for candidate selection.