|Open Date||Feb 09 2018||Close Date||Mar 04 2018|
|Position Title||Election Assistant Co-op / Internship (2 positions)||Posting Type||Co-op|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Co-op|
|Department Group||Corporate Services||Hours per Week||35|
|Location||Town Hall: 150 Mary Street Milton, L9T 6Z5|
The Town of Milton is currently accepting applications for two (2) co-op students or recent graduates of a university or college program for an 8-month term to assist in the coordination of the Municipal Election process. Reporting to Election Coordinator, the Election Assistant acts as a liaison for the public, staff and candidates of the Municipal Election and assists in the coordination of various activities related to the effective implementation of the Municipal Election process.
Eligible candidates must be available to work full-time hours (35 hours per week) from May 1, 2018 through to December 22, 2018 and either be currently enrolled in a post-secondary diploma/degree program or have graduated within the last 12 months.
- Assists the Election Coordinator as a liaison between the Town and the public, staff and candidates for the Municipal Election
- Assists with the preparation of election materials including Voters Lists, information pamphlets, election handbooks, voters’ cards etc.
- Assists with the development of Municipal Election communication strategies, which includes preparation of information packages for candidates and notices for publication required by the Municipal Elections Act
- Assists with monitoring and updating the Election Website and social media platforms
- Assists in establishing polling stations
- Assists in coordinating the people, materials and equipment required to effectively implement the Municipal Election
- Assists in the purchasing and recording of necessary supplies
- Assists in the recruiting, training and organizing of Municipal Elections staff and/or volunteers
- Assists in the Election Day processes
- Assists with the coordination of external services that provide election equipment and technology
- Performs other election related duties as assigned
Education and Experience
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in a post-secondary diploma/degree program or have graduated within the past 12 months; courses/programs in Political Science, Public Administration and Government Relations are considered an asset
- Ability to prioritize work and to work under pressure to meet deadlines; flexibility and availability to work overtime as may be required
- Ability to maintain a very high standard of professionalism and customer service and complete work with a high level of accuracy
- Ability to work in a highly confidential environment and maintain a high level of integrity
- Ability to communicate and deal with all levels of staff, the public, other levels of government and agencies, etc. in a courteous and effective manner which reflects the professionalism of the organization
- A valid Ontario Driver’s License with a driving record that demonstrates responsible / safe driving behavior, as use of a personal vehicle is required
Hourly Rate: Under Review
The Town of Milton is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code; the Town of Milton will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform the Town’s Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require. All applicant information collected is in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy legislation and under the authority of the Municipal Act; used strictly for candidate selection.